Crockpot Express Black Beans w/ Ham & Rice
This easy meal is perfect for a cold winter’s night or even as an easy leftover to take for lunch. It is full of ham, veggies and of course black beans. And it’s all done up in my trusty crockpot!
This meal makes great leftovers but you can also freeze the leftovers (minus the rice) and then thaw before reheating and cooking your rice right before serving.
How to Freeze Cooked Black Beans
If you’d rather get the entire cooking process finished and out of the way, you can do that as well. This way, when you’re ready to eat them, you simply have to warm them up, which you can do from their frozen state.
If you know you’re going to be freezing them, reduce the cooking time by 15 minutes. This will allow you to reheat them without overcooking them.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic or powder
- 1 Tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb dry black beans, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced ham
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Select the "saute" mode on the Crockpot Express. Add the Olive oil
- Add 1 cup of the onions and the ham and saute 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Press Stop.
- Pour in chicken broth, water, black beans, oregano and cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Close the Crockpot Express with the lid and make sure valve is set to "sealing" position. Select "Beans or Chil" and up the time to 30 minutes.
- Slow release and serve with the remaining diced onions
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 514mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g